Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mail!!!


  Packages from home; there's nothing quite as exciting. From seeing familiar handwriting, to tearing through the layers and layers of tape, to finally digging out the last note; it's perfectly packaged happiness.
   The day before we left for Italy, I got a notice that a box had come for me and was in the Sagunto post office. I cannot describe how EXCITED I was! As soon as I got out of Bible class, I ran to my room, grabbed my backpack, and got a bike from the guy's dorm. I bike to the Correos office fairly quickly and stood in line, jittery with excitement. When the lady produced the box from the back and put it on the counter, I wanted to tear it open right there. I paid the €28 from customs (um, ouch) squeezed the bulky, heavy box in my backpack and remounted my bike.
    Let me tell you, it wasn't easy getting back. Not only did I have a 20+ pound box pulling me backwards, but I was riding uphill. Long, long hills.
   But I made it back; sweaty, shaky, and so happy. I must say, I have the best family ever. Not only did they send me a package, but my brother and sister got up at 5 am just to watch me open it. I was too happy with them to pay attention to their whines about the hour.
   You guys. Seriously. Best.Package.Ever. It took me at least 20 minutes to go through all the notes and jokes, clothes, candy, water bottle, click erasers, and - glory be! - real American peanut butter and applesauce! Words can't describe. And getting face wash and perfume... It's simple, but town and stores are so far away here. My brother also sent me a nerf gun, fake moustaches, and reindeer antlers. They demanded a picture, so for that atrocity, see below.
   One day, I suddenly realized with a pang of homesickness that the next day was Thanksgiving. I couldn't help thinking about Thanksgivings past with all my family and good food, in a house with actual heating. I sighed and stuffed the thought away. Imagine my surprise when literally two minutes later, the office called me to tell me I had some mail. I flew down the stairs and got a card from my wonderful grandparents! So, so sweet! That definitely made my day.
   I'll write more about Thanksgiving later, but I want to add one more thing. A couple weeks before, someone came into the cafeteria and told me there was a package for me in the office. I immediately left my uneaten lunch and galloped downstairs. I spotted my mother's handwriting, but before I could run away with the package safely in my clutches, one of the teachers checked and noticed that it was addressed to Juan Antonio-Lopez, the director of ESDE-S. When I asked my mom, she just mysteriously said that it didn't concern me. I couldn't imagine what was going on, but I decided to drop it. But then, at Thanksgiving dinner, our teachers stood up and announced that they had an amazing surprise for us; surprise packages from our families! I couldn't help laughing when they handed me the same package.
   My mom was amazing! She sent me fall decorations and a miniature Christmas tree with ornaments! But imagine my surprise when I opened a small box and saw, in all its glory, a pristine jar of homemade applesauce! I was so excited; as soon as I saw it, I squealed so loud that everyone near me turned around. And after my family had said it was impossible to send a glass jar of applesauce!
   To everyone in Walla Walla, Walla Walla University is sending out packages to student missionaries. Unfortunately, the boxes for many of them are still empty. I know they would be so happy to get anything! WWU is even paying for the shipping. If anyone could just go to Walmart and get some general, American things and then take it to the chaplain's office on College Ave, you'd help make a student missionary's Christmas wonderful.

I think it's best we never talk about this again.
Aww, my sweet, wonderful friends sent me a letter in the package!

How my desk looked after unpacking my package.

Thanksgiving card!

Package full of decorations.

It's a Thanksgiving miracle! Homemade applesauce!!!

4 comments:

  1. I can feel your Joy - Enjoy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come I don't see the nerf gun on your desk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. estercita la mejoritaDecember 10, 2011 at 10:37 PM

    since you didn't exactly state all the wonderful things your sister did for you, I shall provide an exhaustive list that explains it all:
    I SENT YOU MY SKIRT! my skirt! yes, everyone, that gorgeous, beautiful, red skirt lying on her desk in the picture belongs to me, Jessie's sweet, wonderful, gorgeous sister with a good sense of fashion :) haha jk, it was my pleasure. i can't wear it here anyway. it's snowing! well, not right now but we had freezing fog for a couple days. it made the trees look gorgeous, all frosty and wintery :) miss you, china! te amo, mi munchkin-cita <3
    oh, i also sent you popcorn, arranged for your friends to write you a letter, walked ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK TO MEET THEM AND PICK IT UP (that was a long way! i must have burned at least 37 calories!), and sent you exotic asian candy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are just so proud of yourself, aren't you? :) Thank you for the skirt and the popcorn and the letter! And for the 37 calories burned; but I talked with you when you were making yourself popcorn, so I know you've made up for that torture!
    Oh, and that exotic asian candy actually is pretty interesting. My roommmate was even more excited about it than I was!
    Ben, I'm afraid the nerf gun is hidden under Esther's skirt. I can't have it out in the open; it is an Adventist school after all, with a zero violence tolerance! Jaja, estoy bromeando!

    ReplyDelete

Followers